fer ga licious
we’re taking a group of people who have insider knowledge of the English language (or at least a good grasp of it) and placing them in a new, unfamiliar, virtual space. This space introduces visual aids to language in the form of photos and gifs, the ability to comment on someone else’s text in a reblog and the ability to communicate a lot of information in very few words using hashtags. We also see the creation of tone in a toneless medium. In order to simulate conversational patterns in writing we SHOUT WHEN WE’RE SUPER EXCITED or *psssst whisper when we’re pretending to tell someone a secret while perfectly aware that anyone on the internet can read what we’re saying.* slash the coolest bit tho is that u can like ironically forgo all capitalization and punctuation just write in a weird speech pattern its ok everyone will still understand maybe it even helps read the text more quickly because nothing is interrupting the flow of words
In short, this dialect results when people who already share a language are given new tools. The result isn’t a butchering of English language but a creative experiment with it. Am I claiming that the Internet as a whole is operating on a level of postmodernism that would make Joseph Heller, Kurt Vonnegut and Thomas Pynchon seem like novices? maybe i am maybe im not u punk wut of it like who r u to tell me otherwise
Tia Baheri: “Your Ability to Can Even: A Defense of Internet Linguistics" | The Toast
Totally worth reading the whole article, especially the part on Tumblr and gender.
neat things about snails:
- they hibernate! it doesn’t even have to be winter either sometimes theyre just not really feeling it so they get extra gooey and sleep it off
- most snails live at least 5 years but if they aren’t eaten or squished they can keep on bein cool ass…
A friend of a friend said "The government isn't racist, the people are." I was unable to wrap my head around her stupidity and explain why she was wrong. But now I want to write a list of every example of government racism and give it to her
- Arab student is literally surrounded by FBI for cooking rice under terrorist suspicions
- Moroccan High School Student is linked to Boston tragedy for being Brown
- Racism in actual political campaign in Massachusetts against a Native American woman running portraying her name and image in a racist stereotypical inappropriate manner
- Stop and Frisk, ruled unconstitutional was practiced by New York police disproportionately and unfairly affecting 90% Black and Latino men because of racism
- From Mosques to Soccer Leagues: Inside the NYPD’s Secret Spy Unit Targeting Muslims, Activists
- Black students (especially boys and children with disabilities) face more and harsher punishments in public schools and are being pushed out of schools into the criminal justice system.
- Black male incarceration has jumped 500% from 1986 to 2004
- How is it that 58% of prisoners are Black and Latino if 70% of crime committed here is done by white people?
Tell your friend to get fucking real lol